Newborn Screening Ontario (NSO) tests babies for 29 rare diseases that are all treatable.
These diseases are:
- Metabolic Diseases - where the body is unable to break down certain substances in foods, like fats, proteins or sugars
- Endocrine Diseases - where the body produces too much or too little of certain hormones
- Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) - which affects the movement of oxygen in the blood
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF) - which causes problems with breathing and growth
- Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID) - which affects the body’s ability to fight infections
Please visit our Disease Information page for more information about these diseases.