Supplies & Resources
Here is some helpful information about how to access newborn screening supplies, resources and forms for your practice.
Newborn Screening Manual: A Guide for Newborn Care Providers
Newborn Screening Ontario (NSO) developed a Newborn Screening Manual as a comprehensive guide for you to ensure that all infants born in Ontario have a high quality newborn screen completed. This manual outlines recommended practices in newborn screening and addresses common questions about screening practices.
Most of your questions can be answered in the most recent version of the Newborn Screening Manual (2018), which can be accessed here: Newborn Screening Manual: A Guide for Newborn Care Providers.
Please contact us if you wish to order a print version of this resource.
Ordering Newborn Screening Supplies
VWR International provides logistics and distribution services for newborn screening dried bloodspot collection cards and biliary atresia screening infant stool colour cards (ISCC). These supplies are free and do not have a shipping fee. To order an appropriate supply of both types of cards through VWR you will need to provide the following information:
- Account number: if you do not have an account number please contact us.
- Catalogue number and quantity of packages required (each package contains 25 cards)
- Dried bloodspot collection cards
- CATX89013-658 CHEO 903 BLOOD COLLECT FORM – 25.
- Biliary atresia screening infant stool colour cards (ISCC)
- TXCAPLT1012CEO Infant Stool Colour Cards
- Dried bloodspot collection cards
- Relevant contact and shipping information: for example your name, department and location in the hospital.
Ordering dried bloodspot collection cards alone does not automatically order infant stool colour cards (ISCC). It is important to also order an equivalent or higher number of ISCC each time you order dried bloodspot collection cards.
There are several ways you can order your cards from VWR:
- Phone: (800) 932-5000 You will need a purchase order number for tracking purposes. If you do not have access to formal purchase order number, please create one and keep a record of it.
- E-mail: Canada_Orders@vwr.com E-mail your order to this address and be sure it contains the information as specified above.
- Online: Please visit the VWR website and create a profile by clicking the "Register" button. You’ll need your account number to do this and it may take up to 3 days before you receive final notification that your web account has been established.
If you have any problems with ordering or need any further information, please contact us.
Ordering Purolator Supplies
Instructions for how to order Purolator shipping supplies can be found here. Please note that the shipping supplies used for newborn screening changed in December 2020; please use the red Express Packs with the corresponding "H+" sticker to ship newborn screening samples. Please note that you cannot order Purolator supplies through VWR.
Ordering Newborn Screening Educational Materials
Please visit our Screening Resources page to access our parent education materials, including our pamphlet, poster and video about newborn screening.
You can also order print copies of our pamphlet (publication #018583) and poster (publication #026878) in English and French free-of-charge through Service Ontario Publications.
Forms and Resources
Sickle Cell Disease Carrier Results Request Form
Destruction/Return of a Dried Blood Spot Sample Form
Prematurity Information Sheet - For parents of newborns born significantly premature or very low birth weight
Transfusion Information Sheet - For parents of transfused babies
Requisition for Post-Mortem Sample Analysis (Blood/Bile)
Teaching tool: what makes a satisfactory newborn screen