Supplies & Resources
Here is some helpful information about how to access newborn screening supplies, resources and forms for your practice.
Newborn Screening Manual: A Guide for Newborn Care Providers
Newborn Screening Ontario (NSO) developed a Newborn Screening Manual as a comprehensive guide for you to ensure that all infants born in Ontario have a high quality newborn screen completed. This manual outlines recommended practices in newborn screening and addresses common questions about screening practices.
Most of your questions can be answered in the most recent version of the Newborn Screening Manual (2018), which can be accessed here: Newborn Screening Manual: A Guide for Newborn Care Providers.
Please contact us if you wish to order a print version of this resource.
Ordering Newborn Screening Cards
VWR International provides logistics and distribution services for the newborn screening cards. In order to order an appropriate supply of cards through VWR you will need to provide the following information:
- Account number: if you do not have an account number please contact us.
- Catalogue number and quantity of packages required (each package contains 25 blood spot collection cards) – CATX89013-658 CHEO 903 BLOOD COLLECT FORM – 25.
- Relevant contact and shipping information: for example your name, department and location in the hospital.
There are several ways you can order your cards from VWR:
- Phone: (800) 932-5000 You will need a purchase order number for tracking purposes. If you do not have access to formal purchase order number, please create one and keep a record of it.
- Fax: (800) 668-6348 Fax your order on your own form to this number and be sure it contains the information as specified above.
- Online: Please visit the VWR website and create a profile by clicking the "Register" button. You’ll need your account number to do this and it may take up to 3 days before you receive final notification that your web account has been established.
If you have any problems with ordering or need any further information please contact us.
Ordering Purolator Supplies
To order Purolator supplies please visit the Purolator website and click on “Order Supplies.” Please order the “Express Packs” (12.5” x 16” polybag), which you will find under “Packs.” You may also order Purolator supplies by phone at 1-888-744-7123. Please note that you cannot order Purolator supplies through VWR.
Ordering Newborn Screening Educational Materials
The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and Newborn Screening Ontario have created several free educational resources about newborn screening for parents. Newborn screening pamphlets, posters, and DVDs may be ordered from Service Ontario.
Pamphlet - Newborn Screening and Your Baby: A Healthy Start Leads to a Healthy Life
- Pamphlets can be ordered in English (publication # 018583) or French (publication # 018584). A holder for the pamphlets is also available for order (publication # 018604). Pamphlets are available for download in 18 additional languages from the Screening Resources page.
DVD - Newborn Screening in Ontario: A Small Test with Big Benefits
- The DVD is available in 20 languages on a single DVD (publication # 018603).This video can also be viewed on the NSO YouTube channel.
Poster - Newborn Screening and Your Baby: Give Your Baby the Best Start in Life
- Posters are available in English (publication # 018583) or French (publication #019141).
Forms and Resources
Diagnostic/Monitoring Sample Requisition
- For specimens shipped to NSO NeST - Diagnostic and Monitoring Requisition NSO NEST
- For specimens shipped to CHEO CLR - Diagnostic and Monitoring Requisition NSO IMD and Biochem non DBS
Prematurity Information Sheet - For parents of newborns born significantly premature or very low birth weight
Transfusion Information Sheet - For parents of transfused babies
Teaching tool: what makes a satisfactory newborn screen