Newborn Screening Ontario (NSO) screens newborn blood spot samples for 5 groups of diseases.
The diseases are:
- Metabolic Diseases - where the body is unable to break down certain substances in foods, like fats, proteins or sugars
- Endocrine Diseases - where the body produces too much or too little of certain hormones
- Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) - which affects the movement of oxygen in the blood
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF) - which causes problems with breathing and growth
- Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID) - which affects the body’s ability to fight infections
Throughout 2017, bedside screening will begin for Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD).
Please visit our Disease Information page for more information about these diseases.